Sunday, April 17, 2011

Prayer In Gethsemane

Today being Passion Sunday, I have uploaded Prayer In Gethsemane.  Written as a meditation on Christ’s agony in the garden, it has also served us well at IHM as a congregational piece during Holy Week with the choir and congregation joining in on the refrains.

A few years ago, I was preparing for the Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday at IHM, listening to Gabriel’s Oboe by Ennio Morricone being played as a prelude, when I caught a glimpse of the sunset behind the far side of Briarcliff Rd.  I started thinking about the sun going down over the garden of Gethsemane on the night of the last supper so many years ago.  It was, and still is, a very affecting image to me – a quiet sunset in a peaceful garden, soon to give way to so much suffering and pain.

Not long after, I mentioned this image to Michael and suggested we work on a meditation on Christ’s suffering in the garden.  I’ll leave it to him to describe the inspiration behind the lyrics to this song, but suffice it to say, I think they are some of the most stirring lyrics he has written. We’ve begun using this song at Mass during Holy Week, and it has been very well received. I hope you enjoy it as well.

This recording also comes from the IHM Lenten concert.  Michael is playing the piano while I sing.  The violin and cello parts that begin on Verse 3 were new additions this year, and that’s Justin Kandler and Kat Shealy doing the honors, respectively.

I hope everyone has a blessed Holy Week and thanks for stopping by. Lyrics after the jump.

 
Prayer In Gethsemane

Verse 1
O my Father, be with me;
Do not leave me alone to die.
Long ago this very night,
You passed over the blood of the lamb.
But now my blood cries out to You,
And all I hear is silence.

Verse 2
From my birth, I have been Yours,
And You have always been my guide.
My mother taught me who You are;
Her faith has shown me who I am.
Now the hour of my foes is drawing near,
And I will give My life for them.

Refrain
In You my Father, I place my trust.
Not my will, but Your will be done.
And when I die, Your greatest love
Will raise me to life with You.

Verse 3
All is dark in Gethsemane.
Our meal is done; my friends are gone.
I gave them all I had to give.
My pores seep blood, my flesh is weak.
But my spirit knows that You are near,
And I will drink this cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment