Tuesday, May 3, 2011

the story behind the song: "My Thoughts Are Not Your Thoughts"

So, as you probably already know if you've been following along: when I'm not at IHM being a part of the music ministry, I am a hospice chaplain. Right away, you will notice that this song is largely based on the prophesies of Isaiah, Chapter 55. It was written last year after hearing the story of Betsy, the daughter-in-law of one of my former patients. When I met her and her family, Betsy was still reeling from the loss of both of her parents who were cared for by our sister office of Compassionate Care Hospice in Galveston, Texas. Her parents died within a week of one another, coincidentally just days after major parts of her hometown were torn asunder by Hurricane Ike in 2008.
During that time, while driving home late one night, northwest of Atlanta, a car flew past Betsy, almost sending her off into the ditch. In her panic and fear, she offered a spontaneous prayer, “Lord, help me,” and she told me that right then, she heard an audible voice say, “my daughter, I am with you always.” I was extremely moved to hear her story and if you know the Reed family, you know their strong faith and dedication to the Lord. So I spent some time praying over the scriptures and found this song.
I dedicate it to the memory of the parents of Cecil and Dorothy Reed. But I also would like for anyone who listens to remember those who struggle to comprehend loss and grief.
Toward the end of the song, you’ll hear a repeated refrain which I borrowed from the 15th century English mystic and anchoress, Julian of Norwich. I consider these words to be the mantra of anyone who works with hospice patients or their families. And the verses, sung so adroitly by Aimee Scozzafave are thoughts inspired by passages from the Book of Revelations that speak of the journey's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment