Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the story behind the song: "Carry My Word to Everyone"

We wrote this song last summer for the baptism of my god-daughter, Mary Megan. At that time I dedicated it to the memory of her grandmother, Mary Ellen Michuda, who had died suddenly following heart surgery in July of 2009. While the refrain is clearly taken from the end of the Gospel of Matthew when the risen Christ gathers his disciples on the Mount of Olives before ascending into heaven, for the verses, I wanted to find words that the Lord might also have said to his beloved disciples and to us, the Church. But at the same time, because Mary Megan didn't get a chance to meet her grandmother in this life, I hoped that this song might also bear the echo of words that Mary Ellen might have to say to this precious child whom she will meet one day, "when the Father calls us home at last."

If you listen to this piece with this story in mind, I'm sure you'll see why it was so stirring for many of us that during our Lenten concert it was sung by Mary Megan's godmother, Nimalie Stone and by Tricia Audrain, friends of Colleen (Michuda) and Tom Green and their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment