Tuesday, April 2, 2013

All Creatures

Happy Easter!  He is risen! Alleluia!

In celebration of Easter this year, we are uploading a piano solo by Michael Mullink, All Creatures.  Based on the traditional hymn, All Creatures Of Our God And King, Michael composed these variations as part of the score for the video, "You Are Not Alone: Journeys Through Grief," posted below.  When we met to record the music for that video, he mentioned that he had come up with an arrangement for the hymn and asked if I would add guitar to the piece.  At that point, I had yet to hear his rendition of All Creatures but we've been winging things for years now so I was certainly game.  When it came time to record this piece that evening, I left the studio to join our very generous friend and producer, Bob Gillespie, in the engineering booth, thinking I would take a copy of the piano track home and come up with something on the guitar to add at a subsequent recording session.

Then, Michael began playing, and as you can hear for yourself via the music player on the right side of this web page, the music he made that night was inspired and beautiful.  Never losing its delicate tone (appropriate for a video on grief), he does a wonderful job of slowly building the piece, layering in his variations, adding subtle twists while never losing the feel and tone of the original hymn.  I remember not only being impressed by the musicianship on display (which, frankly, I always am whenever he plays) but also appreciative for the opportunity to sit back for a quiet moment and simply enjoy listening to a wonderful artist work.  Most of the time, I don't get such an opportunity around Michael because if he's playing, more than likely it usually means that I am supposed to be playing, too.

When Michael had finished, Bob and I looked at each other, and I think we both just shook our heads and grinned.  Michael joined us in the booth, and I told him there was no way I was going to add guitar to this piece.  It was perfect just as it was after that first take.  And I still agree with that assessment.  I hope you enjoy Michael's rendition of All Creatures, and I hope you have a happy and blessed Easter season.

"All creatures of our God and King,
Lift up your voice and with us sing!
Oh, praise Him!  Alleluia"

What a wonderful hymn for this Easter season!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment